[CentOS] CentOS serial questions (Hyperterminal equiv and connecting to server via Hyperterminal)

Sun Feb 24 21:49:48 UTC 2008
Erek Dyskant <erek at blumenthals.com>

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 08:36 -0800, Rogelio wrote:
> I have two serial-related questions
>
> (1) What is the CentOS (or *nix) equivalent of Hyperterminal in
> Windows? Sometimes I'm on a CentOS box and need to, say, console into
> a Cisco or something.
minicom or kermit.

> and
>
> (2) I have a CentOS server that I may need to transport somewhere and
> will most likely *not* want to carry around the monitor. Where should
> I look in connecting to my server via a serial connection?
If you're looking for a console server, opengear sells excellent and
relatively inexpensive stuff.  Also, cyclades, lantronix, perle, and
others.

If you just want a box to configure your server onsite, use a laptop
with a null modem cable and a terminal emulator installed.