[CentOS] Re: Fwd: Securing Linux laptops

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jan 8 19:39:41 UTC 2008

on 1/8/2008 11:00 AM Bill Campbell spake the following:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008, Marko A. Jennings wrote:
>> On Tue, January 8, 2008 9:14 am, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> So what options do we have for encrypting partitions.
>> <snip>
>>
>> I found this article helpful:
>> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/01/18/disk-encryption-in-fedora-past-present-and-future/
>
> One could also set up a script that automatically sends an e-mail
> message when the laptop boots, and perhaps periodic e-mails from
> cron.  This could provide at least the IP address from which the
> mail was sent which could help locate it.

If I was in the business of stealing laptops, I would be looking at the system
  unconnected to the world so as to look for traps like this. Most laptops are
stolen for the hardware value.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and