[CentOS] Backup

Thu Jan 3 22:57:18 UTC 2008
Ruslan Sivak <rsivak at istandfor.com>

We have a RHEL2 server that has had one of the drives in the raid array
fail.  I would like to do a full backup of the system before we replace
the raided drive, in case the second drive decides to die during the
procedure.

What is the recommended way to back up a linux system?  I was thinking
of doing a snapshot, but the system is ext3 with no LVM.  It has been
suggested to hook up a usb drive and do an rsync of /.  Are there any
better solutions?

The reason I wanted a snapshot is that I wanted to get an image of the
disk, so that I wouldn't have to reinstall and reconfigure all the apps.

Russ