[CentOS] Dump on remote filesystems?

Tue Jan 29 12:32:25 UTC 2008
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

I have a couple C5 systems I want to back up.  My plan is to, one way or
another, back them up to a C5 machine in my office.  I have samba
installed on the systems to back up, the machines are mounted on the
system in my office, and a tape library hanging of the system in my
office.

I was hoping to perform a simple /sbin/dump of the remote systems.  I put
together a script for another successful backup I have going on a system
with local filesystems.  But for remote filesystems, I get errors of File
Cannot Be Accessed (//remote_system/subdir) which does exist as an smb
mounted filesystem.

I'd use NFS, but I would like a bit more control and some level of
encryption for the user authentication and data being transferred.

If a direct dump of remote smb filesystems isn't possible, I may opt to
have each system perform their own local dumps, then run a script locally
on the tape-connected machine to dump those local dumps, or copy the dumps
locally then dump them to tape.

If nothing else works, I can always install Windows XP and use Windows
backup program, but I'd really like to try and get this going under Linux
before going that route.

Thanks for insights.

Scott