[CentOS] Turning Wireless Radio on and off: how?

Mon Jan 7 22:40:43 UTC 2008
Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>

Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 6:10 PM, Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Broadcom 1390 Wlan mini card
>> (integrated) wireless lan chipset. I've got an init script setup to
>> activate the wireless connection at boot time, however when the system
>> boots the adapter doesn't connect. I'm not able to get a connection
>> until after the desktop is done loading and I run the script from the
>> command line.
>
> what about running your script from the
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
> Start it at the end of it, but be careful if your scrip block the boot
> process, your systm will block! Be sure to have a rescue CD ready.
>
> Regards

well... I've got it starting as a service, however it doesn't make the
connection. when the system starts to run the script the script runs
fine but the wireless doesn't make the connection. "Network is down" is
reported to the console as the system is booting.

Once the desktop loads and I'm logged in, if I issue "service wireless
restart" (I've got it setup as a sysV init script) the wireless connects
perfectly every time.

Mark