[CentOS] Turning Wireless Radio on and off: how?

Tue Jan 8 04:24:43 UTC 2008
Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz>

Mark Weaver wrote:
> Alain Spineux wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2008 6:10 PM, Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Broadcom 1390 Wlan mini card
>>> (integrated) wireless lan chipset. I've got an init script setup to
>>> activate the wireless connection at boot time, however when the system
>>> boots the adapter doesn't connect. I'm not able to get a connection
>>> until after the desktop is done loading and I run the script from the
>>> command line.
>>
>> what about running your script from the
>> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
>> Start it at the end of it, but be careful if your scrip block the boot
>> process, your systm will block! Be sure to have a rescue CD ready.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> well... I've got it starting as a service, however it doesn't make the
> connection. when the system starts to run the script the script runs
> fine but the wireless doesn't make the connection. "Network is down"
> is reported to the console as the system is booting.
>
> Once the desktop loads and I'm logged in, if I issue "service wireless
> restart" (I've got it setup as a sysV init script) the wireless
> connects perfectly every time.
>
> Mark

Hi

This is probably a timing issue.
If your initscript follows the conventions required for chkconfig you
should have a line that looks something like

# chkconfig: 2345 10 90

The first setting representing the levels to start at, second being the
start sequence number, and the third being the kill sequence number.  So
in my example the service starts in runlevels 2,3,4, and 5. The order it
started in is determined by S10<service name>  The Order it is killed in
is K90<service name>

You may want to try changing the S Value to 99 Initially so that it is
one of the last things started and if this works then identify what
needs to started before your script will work that wasn't with the
original S Value.

Hope this helps, have a nice day :)