[CentOS] Re: simple script idea

Mon Jan 21 17:35:13 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 1/21/2008 9:10 AM Robert - elists spake the following:
>>>  - rh
>> Sounds like a broken script in the package. Did you report it to Dag?
>>

> No, I didn't report to Dag
>
> His package was doing what it was supposed to do after my yum remove of
> clamav, and so it created a clamav user and group because it was a new
> install... of course it didn't use the same uid and gid, yet how could it
> know.
>
> ;->
>
> He is on the list, and maybe I should pop an email to the request list or
> related support list to see if I would have chosen the upgrade path if it
> would have dealt properly with the change in that one clamav-server to just
> clamav package part of it.
>
> I think it is easier to ask here first since Centos 4 is the base.
>
> Is that normal behavior for a user and group to be deleted when removing a
> package like clamav with yum ???
>
> Even it is is hand rolled?
>
> I know it was hand rolled starting a long time ago... so I can dig 2 to 3
> years back in my notes if you need more info.
>
> Im guessing it is, yet I do not necessarily agree with it.
>
> Maybe yum does yet rpm a more correct way would not or?
>
> Thanks in advance  :-)
>
>  - rh
I must have missed your mention of yum-remove first. My bad!

I think if a package adds its own user, then removing that user is a sound
process also during a remove. Most of the time when packages are upgraded, you
don't have that problem. Since you rolled it yourself, your spec file would
have all the commands run during install and remove in it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and