[CentOS] Re: simple script idea

Mon Jan 21 18:48:37 UTC 2008
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Scott Silva wrote:
> I think if a package adds its own user, then removing that user is a sound
> process also during a remove. Most of the time when packages are upgraded,
> you don't have that problem. Since you rolled it yourself, your spec file
> would have all the commands run during install and remove in it.

I think it shouldn't remove the user.

When you remove a package only the files which are contained in that
package are removed. But many programs running under a certain user id
also write files with that user id. And those won't get removed
automatically, if you remove the package - maybe you want to keep them
for further inspection.

Now if a package removes the user it created, the next package creating
that user might get the same uid when creating its user. And suddenly it
can read the files your old application left over.

Removing users should be done by the administrator.

Ralph