[CentOS] Re: Definitive HowTo for CENTOS 5 Winbind - Samba - Active Directory Integration

Tue Jan 22 02:35:18 UTC 2008
Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com>

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Christopher Butler wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have been out of the linux / unix loop for a good three years now, and a
> lot has changed..
>

> I have a windows 2003 server on my home office lan as my domain controller.
>

> I would like to know if there is a good how-to that applies to Centos5 to
> achieve the following:
>

> Joining the centos machine to the AD domain (I believe I have done this
> already)
>

> Sharing files from it using the AD user object credentials (don't know how
> to do this yet, using system-config-samba-1.2.39, it does not show the
> domain users yet)
>

> Allowing login to centos using ssh or NX client (got the NX client working
> for root user and a local tesuser) using the <DOMAIN>\<windowsusername>
> credentials
>

> Correct configuration of the pam related files etc so that centos
> automatically creates and populates a user home directory for any first time
> logins
>

> I found the following article:
>
> http://www.nixadmins.net/modules.php?page=0%2C0
> <http://www.nixadmins.net/modules.php?page=0%2C0&name=News&file=article&sid=
> 14> &name=News&file=article&sid=14

You might want to look at samba.org.

In particular http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
and http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

They will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

> But I am a bit wary of editing files that I don't fully understand yet.

Make a copy of any files you are going to edit BEFORE you edit them. That way
if you make a mistake you can revert the changes.

> I installed CENTOS5 with just about every option enabled, all the services,
> so they should all be there already, I just need to configure them without
> breaking anything.

It is not really a good idea to have everything enabled. You could be creating
security problems down the road if you have services enabled that you do not
need.

HTH,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com