[CentOS] Hot swapping sata drives

Wed Jan 23 22:02:07 UTC 2008
Timothy Selivanow <timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com>

> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > I have a two external USB drives only 1 is connected to centos 5.1 at a
> > time.
> > the USB drive is SLOW compared to SATA.
> > The external drive suppots both connections USB and SATA.
> >
> > I bought  a little $5 external SATA connector that goes into the
> > PCI slot area (does not actually take a PCI slot just the backpanel)
> > and just plugs back into one of the available SATA
> > ports on the motherboard.
> >
> > When I turn off the external drive and put the other drive on
> > the connection and then power on will SATA handle that automatically?
> > Is there a command I need to run to tell it check for new disks?
> >
> > Is this possible?
> > Will I have to reboot to get the swapped external disk detected.
>
> This depends on the controller - some don't provide hotplug support.
> There is some info here http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html.

Here's probably the same info and more, in a easier to read format
(feature matrix).  Plus has added bonus of coming from the proverbial
horse's mouth :)

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix

--Tim
/ Isn't it strange that the same people that laugh at gypsy fortune \
\ tellers take economists seriously?                                /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )