[CentOS] rsync and swapping

Wed Jan 30 19:39:19 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Jan 30, 2008 10:46 AM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I once knew a guy who bought a really cheap PC with an AMD CPU in it.
> Despite the fact that the power supply was underpowered, and
> everything else on the machine was just as cheap as possible, he
> blamed the AMD chip for all of the problems the PC had.  To this day
> he refuses to buy AMD CPUs, "because they don't work right" -- despite
> the fact that millions of people use bzip2^H^H^H^H^H AMD chips every
> day without any problem at all.

Heh heh - cute.

I was going to respond in re the AMD issue when I re-read that last part.

I had this problem with several files over a period of about six
months.  I suppose it could have been something else (AMD CPU, bad
disk, power spikes, yada, yada), but:

1) The problem never showed up anywhere else, under my P4, same or
different disks, same power conditions as other processes, yada, yada,
yada.

2) I never saw this problem with using zip/unzip/pkzip, which I still use.

3) I also never saw enough of a significant advantage of bzip2 over
zip, but none of my files were all that large, either.

My impression was that the larger (and more binary) a file was, the
better the results with bzip2.

Like I said, YMMV.

mhr