[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Jul 1 05:20:23 UTC 2008

nate wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>

>> This raises an interesting question. What do you do in this kind of
>> scenario? How do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10 TB worth of data?
>>

> Lots of the more modern enterprise arrays support online upgrades.
> Some of them even support re-distributing data across the new spindles
> to maximize performance/limit hot spots.
>
> I personally wouldn't want to purchase any storage array that will
> have important data on it that doesn't have these abilities.
>
> My favorite storage company - 3par has some of the more advanced online
> optimizations, sample -
>
> http://www.3par.com/documents/3PAR-do-ds-08.0.pdf
>
> Grow data online, convert between RAID levels online, migrate data
> between spindle types(FC<->SATA) online etc. Create a volume, and
> you never have to worry about answering the question 'is it really
> optimal?' because you can change it at any time without application
> impact or downtime.
>
> nate

Nate, what EXACTLY does that have todo with the topic? We're talking
about a self-build NAS / SAN running on Linux (and UNIX), NOT a
commercial product

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers