[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Jul 1 05:24:43 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> nate wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>

>>> This raises an interesting question. What do you do in this kind of
>>> scenario? How do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10 TB worth of
>>> data?

> Nate, what EXACTLY does that have todo with the topic? We're talking
> about a self-build NAS / SAN running on Linux (and UNIX), NOT a
> commercial product

Everything I believe. Everything is a commercial product unless your
building the circuit boards from scratch. Your specific question was
how do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10TB worth of data? My
answer is you build one that can be upgraded online.

And the array I mentioned previously runs on Debian. The largest
EMC arrays run on Linux as well.

While EMC won't let you self-build their high end systems, there are
other companies that sell SAN/NAS gear that runs on Linux that will
let you "self build".

nate