[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Jul 1 05:33:44 UTC 2008

nate wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> nate wrote:

>> Nate, what EXACTLY does that have todo with the topic? We're talking
>> about a self-build NAS / SAN running on Linux (and UNIX), NOT a
>> commercial product
>>

> Everything I believe. Everything is a commercial product unless your
> building the circuit boards from scratch. Your specific question was
> how do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10TB worth of data? My
> answer is you build one that can be upgraded online.
>
> And the array I mentioned previously runs on Debian. The largest
> EMC arrays run on Linux as well.
>
> While EMC won't let you self-build their high end systems, there are
> other companies that sell SAN/NAS gear that runs on Linux that will
> let you "self build".
>
> nate

No, it's not quite the same thing. A commercial storage device is built
in a such a way that the OS (normally on a separate HDD / PROM / flash
disk / etc) can be upgraded with the suppliers pre-built patches.

We're talking about doing this totally from scratch. i.e, how to build
one from PC components you have / purchased from a supplier yourself.
This also involves setting up the software (in this case CentOS, but
FreeBSD & Solaris was recommended as well). If I wanted a commercial
product, then I would have contacted the vendors and asked them this
question. And if you've been following the thread, you'll see that we
discussed Intel & AMD, SATA, SAS & SCSI, software & hardware RAID, etc,
not which commercial device works better and which don't.

It's nice to know what commercial vendors offer a way to upgrade the OS,
but I'm not interested in a commercial pre-built product, I don't have
that kind of capital

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers