[CentOS] extract MIME attachments from 700MB imap folder

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:59:07 UTC 2008

Ray Leventhal wrote:

> Issue:
> I've been tasked with extracting a bunch of MIME attachments (M$Word
> docs) from emails which have been stored in an imap folder in
> /home/<username>/mail/<imap foldername>.  As the subject states, the
> imap folder is about 700MB.
> Googling suggested that munpack might do the trick, but as it is
> intended only for one message at a time, it outputs the first attachment
> found, then exits gracefully.
> Further searches seemed to talk about mimedump, so I yum installed
> perl-MIME-tools.noarch from rpmforge as mimedump this was needed, and
> includes mimedump.
> I've read the man page, but am wholly unclear as to:
> 1) will this do the trick for me
> 2) are there other known tools which might be recommended

Mime::Parser will split out the body and attachments of a message into
files.  I've only used it on single files being delivered via procmail
like this:

use MIME::Parser;
### Create parser, and set some parsing options:
my $parser = new MIME::Parser;
### Change how nameless message-component files are named:
### Parse input:
$entity = $parser->parse(\*STDIN) or die "parse failed\n";

But you'll probably want to do something a little more clever to toss
the body and use sensible filenames for the attachments. I think
Mime::Parser::Filer can do that.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com