[CentOS] Want to _prevent_ upgrade to centos 5.2

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 2 13:14:03 UTC 2008

Ben Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the release of 5.2  "yum update" seems to be upgrading our
> computers from CentOS 5.1 to CentOS 5.2.  I note from release notes for
> 5.2 that you are only supposed to get 5.2 if you type in "yum upgrade".
> On two  seperate machines entering "yum update" has resulted in yum
> geting repo information for packages with versions that only exist in
> the base repository of centos 5.2.
>
> The following snippet shows the beginning of yum update on a x86_64
> server.  It has noticed python-2.4.3-21.el5.x86_64,
> ltrace-0.5-7.45svn.el5.x86_64 and system-config-securitylevel-tui.x86_64
> 0:1.6.29.1-2.1.el5 which are a CentOs 5.2 package.  On a workstation yum
> update resulted in upgrade of firefox from 1.5 to 3.0-0 beta5.
>
> Can I stop this from happening?  Ideally I would like to stay on a
> particulare version of CentOS eg 5.2 until we can do a controlled
> upgrade.  Maybe we have the same problem as having stable specified in a
> debian sources.list where what is meant by stable changes when a new
> version of debian is released.

If you desire version control, the you need to setup your own mirrors
and only put authorized configuration in those mirrors.  Then you run
updates against your mirrors only.

CentOS-5 is the real version ... 5.2 is just a point in time set of
updates for CentOS-5.  Understand that if you had RHEL-5 and ran an
update, it would also update you to the same packages.  What this means
is that 5.2 is just an update set for CentOS-5 .. not really a new version.