[CentOS] Re: Want to _prevent_ upgrade to centos 5.2

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jul 2 18:50:52 UTC 2008

on 7-2-2008 10:37 AM Les Mikesell spake the following:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>> CentOS-5 is the real version ... 5.2 is just a point in time set of
>> updates for CentOS-5.  Understand that if you had RHEL-5 and ran an
>> update, it would also update you to the same packages.  What this
>> means is that 5.2 is just an update set for CentOS-5 .. not really a
>> new version.
>
> I think the firefox/OOo version jumps are the surprises here.  We've
> come to expect boring consistency with few feature changes across minor
> updates.  I think it is a great thing for the desktop apps to change
> faster than the base os and server apps, but it seems like an upstream
> policy change especially for the big jump in firefox.

I'm almost sure it was a logistics change and not policy. They probably hit a
wall in backporting patches to 1.5 tree of Firefox. So if they had to jump,
jump with both feet out!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and