[CentOS] RHEL vs. CentOS

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 01:44:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> drew einhorn wrote:
>
>> Hi, we have a new customer to support.  They have RHEL5 not CentOS5.
>>

> You need to think more about things like compiling custom kernels or 3rd
> party repos, since you have upstream paid support now.

     I've been thinking about 3rd party repos

     So far the only non RHEL packages I've installed are freenx and nx from
the CentOS extras.  I haven't been able to find them anywhere else.

     I am puzzled by the status of yum-priorities.

     Unless I'm looking at things cross eyed.
     It's in the CentOS5 base repository,
     Which I think means it should be in the RHEL5 repositories,
     but I can't find it there.

     I'm pretty sure I have a sufficient understanding of yum-priorities on
CentOS to adapt it to RHEL, once I install it.

     And I really need to learn more about package management and
repositories in a pure CentOS environment.

     I really don't understand the voodoo for overriding the priorities, for
a specific packages when necessary.

     And I really wish there was a way to browse the available packages by
repo after the priorities have been taken into consideration.

     And in addition I wish there was to browse the packages that are
blocked by packages in other repositories,

     And better ways to understand how dependency issues effect which
versions of a package are available.

     Is there a good place to look for documentation relative to the above.

Drew Einhorn