[CentOS] RHEL vs. CentOS

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Jul 6 14:47:47 UTC 2008

drew einhorn wrote:
> In looking at the possibility of using yum-priorities on a RHEL5 system,
> I noticed on thing that is different from my recollection,
> I see that the default priority it 99,
> but I seem to recall that it used to be 1.
>
> Is my memory faulty, or did it change?
>
> Actually 99 seems to make the most sense when using it in its native
> environment on a CentOS box.
>
> But when trying to use it in a foreign environment on a RHEL box, 1 seems to
> be a better choice,
> because of the repos that are magically created by the rhnplugin, that do
> not have configurations
> in /etc/yum.repos.d
>
> It would be ideal if there turned out to be a undocumented feature in
> */etc/yum/pluginconf.d/priorities.conf
> *that allowed us to change the default priority.
> *
> *

The default priority is 99 (If you do not have a priority set).

The recommended settings if you are running CentOS is:

Priority=1 for [base], [updates], and [extras] ... and Priority=2 for
[centosplus]

In your case, it makes since (with a RHEL install) to not have centos
[base] or [updates] in there at all (since you do not want to install
centos packages on RHEL).

If you want to use CentOS Extras then I would set the priorities as 2
for that.

One thing to remember when using yum from RHEL is that RHN is accessed
through a plugin ... so you will need to find a way to set priorities
for that differently than CentOS does it.