[CentOS] OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Thu Jul 10 20:39:27 UTC 2008

On 7/10/08, Victor Padro <vpadro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there again...
> I just found this on my quest of DNS caching...
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4687

Victor: I read that page and I sent the URL to the Supervisor in
Support at our ISP, hoping she will pass it along, to whoever is in
charge of their DNS Servers.

> Lanny: I think you can install CentOS 3.x, 4.x, and remotely perhaps CentOS
> 5.0 on a P3 like yours, I have a couple of Dells P3 running CentOS 3.9
> server edition and CentOS 5.0 (not connected to the outside world thought)
> which serves web sites locally and its been working without a hassle.

I'm a Desktop user and Linux newbie. If I could use CentOS (which can
do almost anything, if one knows how to do it), to replace our IPCop
box, all I need it to do is: (a) Router, between the ADSL Modem and
our Network Switch) (b) Masquerading, so we can share the Internet
connection (we get a Dynamic IP address from our ISP) and (c) Caching
DNS Server, so we can discontinue using the DNS Servers at our ISP.
If I knew how to configure that, properly, in CentOS 3.x or 4.x, that
would be my preferred choice. But, if it is much easier to add a
Caching DNS Server to my IPCop box, or add a Caching DNS Server to SME
Server (based on CentOS), or, some other OS, that would be better for
me, a novice, to get up and running.

If I can get this running properly, I will add it to my resume!    :-)

> Telmex here is not very bad service...it's awful. :)

A man who works in my daughters school switched to TelMex (in Cali) a
few months ago. He got a package, for TV, phone, and Internet, and it
is saving him $. I think he was happy with it, at that time.

> But Internet via cablemodem it's worse...

We had Cable Modem Service, in Cali, for about 4 years, before we
built our new house.
I remember 2 or 3 times,  we were without Cable TV and Internet, or
without Internet, for about 2 weeks, each time. Our current ISP, the
major Cali phone company, with ADSL, is probably the best ISP we have
ever had, with the exception of this DNS problem.  My wife is in here
now and she is *complaining* about the SLOW DNS and I told her I am
going to ask on this mailing list, for the easiest thing I can
implement, so we have our own Caching DNS Server and only use the ISP
for connectivity.  We live in a rural subdivsion and I don't think
there are enough people living here yet to make it profitable for them
to install Cable TV here. Maybe in the future, or when TelMex comes to
our town. TelMex has lots of $ and they can do it, if they want to do
it.

Awhile ago, I tried to connect to another Secure (SSL, https://)
Server and I ended up again, with a warning, that the SSL Certificate
belonged to opendns.com The first time that happend, last week, it was
at    irs.gov    this time it was somewhere else.

I think I saw a reference, in a thread yesterday, about not having a
package with "caching" in it's name, if one also has BIND installed. I
am going to try to locate that thread and find out about that package.
Possibly it can do what I need to do.

Thanks much! Lanny