[CentOS] OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Thu Jul 10 20:55:13 UTC 2008

On 7/10/08, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
> why not use the dig command to query your isp dns system to see if
> they forward requests to opendns.  By the way, OpenDNS is a great way
> to help prevent phishing attacks.

Rob: What other parameters or arguments I should add onto the dig
command,  to see if they use opendns.com ? I don't see opendns.com in
the below, but probably that is not the correct dig command.

[lanny at dell2400 ~]$ dig emcali.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> emcali.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;emcali.net.                    IN      A

emcali.net.             3600    IN      A
emcali.net.             3600    IN      A

emcali.net.             172800  IN      NS      ns3.hostingchange.net.
emcali.net.             172800  IN      NS      ns2.hostingchange.net.
emcali.net.             172800  IN      NS      ns1.hostingchange.net.

;; Query time: 1100 msec
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 10 15:46:18 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 128

[lanny at dell2400 ~]$

> Lastly, you should use this opp to create a opendns signon, this will
> give you control over your dns request options.  You could block any
> domain via dns quikly.

I will look at the opendns.com web site.  I just cannot imagine that
the Firefox browser is ending up at opendns.com (intermittently) on
it's own. It must be coming from the DNS we are using.  Thanks much!