[CentOS] Finding a python module

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:52:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Oh, wow, is my system hosed now....

Yes, for sure! Replacing the system's python is a pretty bad idea
these days, as many of RedHat's tools depend on it.

> I am going to either have to find 2.5 that I can install on Centos (from a
> Fedora box), but that will most likely break even more things.

Yes it will. Restore the one from CentOS by reinstalling the CentOS
RPM with --force.

> Or get him to build a Centos box and do the build there...

You can do that on your own box (after you fix it). Just get the
source rpm (.src.rpm) file, install the "rpm-build" package, and then
use the "rpmbuild" command to build the package.

Basically the steps to configure rpmbuild to work on your machine are:

$ mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
$ echo '%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild' >~/.rpmmacros

And then to rebuild a source rpm:

$ rpmbuild --rebuild xxxxxx.src.rpm

By the way, do we already have something on CentOS Wiki to help people
build their own RPMs? I think this would be helpful, since it's not
that easy to find that information from the man pages and
documentation.

HTH,
Filipe