[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 17:58:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 11:57 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 7/13/08, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >> again. Lanny
> >
> > FYI: When you have a large thing to post publicly there are sites such
> > as http://pastebin.com/ and others. Googling will get you some.
> > Bill
>
> Bill: You'd attached your file, Friday night. I attached mine, when I
> replied. That was a *bad* thing to do and if I need to  post something
> public in the future, I will try to remember pastebin. Lanny

It wasn't a bad thing to do. IMO the bad thing to do was for someone to
"rebuke" you in such a "short" manner when you had made the list aware
of your "noobiness". But that's really irrelevant and I'm not in the
habit of telling others how to behave. Their mommies raised them, not
me. Their personal problems are theirs and will not become mine.

Having said that, I sense an emotional current underlying your reply, so
I'll offer the below. If I read incorrectly I apologize in advance for
the below.

First, *I* had no problem with your post and was not aware that you
would post back with a snapshot, regardless of size. So don't take
umbrage at my suggestion. It was in good spirit and posted so that you
wouldn't have to hear posts from Ralph et al in the future, but could
still make large attachments available to the community as the need
arises.

Second, my post of the attachment has nothing to do with the response
from the list. Mine was much smaller (appx. 100K, which I checked
first). Generally the list has not expressed problems in the past with
smaller attachments and it never occurred to me that a problem would
result or I would have warned you. Being a *long* time user of various
net-centric resources, I already knew to check my size first and that is
why I sent only a partial snapshot of the whole screen.

Typically users, like myself, forget that other newer users need to be
advised of such things. *shrug* I will say that my style often varies
from theirs when I feel the need to help a newer user "learn the ropes".

I have more I could say, but I'll just end it with this. Chalk it up to
learning curve, let the emotional aspects of the *apparent* rebuke slide
and "sailor on". No harm done unless you let it eat at you. Remember
there are "brusque" personalities generally associated with lists such
as this.

Keep the emotional responses reserved for those who matter - the VIPs -
not the folks on lists such as this.

--
Bill