[CentOS] using new sysconfig file

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Sun Jul 13 22:42:13 UTC 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Thanks for the hint. It was the CRLF sequence from creating the file on a
> Windows machine. I haven't had a problem with this in a long time, bash
> scripts etc. work fine, no matter if LF or CRLF is used, but it seems to
> make a difference when including a file.

Glad to hear :-)
>> BTW: Postgrey recommend a maximum delay of 300.  Is there a reason
>> you're using 660?
>>

> It's the default and been the default since postgrey saw the light of day,
> but I wouldn't deem it "recommended". ;-) I've been doing greylisting
> (with sendmail) for many years and started out with ten minutes.

You're history with greylisting eclipses my recent foray into the field,
so I bow to your experience.  I took the 300 from the CentOS HowTo where
they write:-
<quote>Setting your delay to values larger than 300 Seconds ( 5 Minutes
) is really not recommended.</quote>
> This has
> proven to be quite successful, but there is a growing number of spammers
> that come back after exactly ten minutes, so I'm moving it up to 11
> minutes on new machines. I doubt that 5 minutes gives any advantage in
> terms of faster turnaround time for ham messages. Most MTAs retry after 15
> or 30 minutes, I would actually consider an MTA that retries after only 5
> minutes a bit rude.

I started my delay at 60 seconds as the how-to suggests, and have moved
it up to 300 now.  If your experience suggests 660, then I'll try that
next ;-)

Anything to kill Spam is cool in my book 8-)

Ian