[CentOS] using new sysconfig file

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sun Jul 13 11:31:16 UTC 2008

Ian Blackwell wrote on Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:34:51 +0930:

> I got similar errors by corrupting my /etc/sysconfig/postgrey file, by
> putting text into the delay value - i.e. I replaced 660 with 66O.  I
> suggest you recreate the file (from scratch) to make sure you haven't
> got some odd binary data in their somehow (null's?).

Thanks for the hint. It was the CRLF sequence from creating the file on a
Windows machine. I haven't had a problem with this in a long time, bash
scripts etc. work fine, no matter if LF or CRLF is used, but it seems to
make a difference when including a file.

> BTW: Postgrey recommend a maximum delay of 300.  Is there a reason
> you're using 660?

It's the default and been the default since postgrey saw the light of day,
but I wouldn't deem it "recommended". ;-) I've been doing greylisting
(with sendmail) for many years and started out with ten minutes. This has
proven to be quite successful, but there is a growing number of spammers
that come back after exactly ten minutes, so I'm moving it up to 11
minutes on new machines. I doubt that 5 minutes gives any advantage in
terms of faster turnaround time for ham messages. Most MTAs retry after 15
or 30 minutes, I would actually consider an MTA that retries after only 5
minutes a bit rude.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany