[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Mon Jul 14 01:24:02 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Question: The next time I connect our Backup IPCop box, should I put
> the 2 IP addresses for opendns.com there, or, the IP of our ADSL
> Modem? Which will be faster? If I understand, you have the IP
> addresses in your IPCop box and that bypasses your ADSL Modem.
> TIA, Lanny

My advice is to forget DNS on the modem because it won't be more
up-to-date than the cache on the IPCop server, so it won't serve any
useful function.  Set the IPCop box to use the IP addresses provided by
opendns.com.  It will cache DNS query results and contact the opendns
servers when it needs to refresh expired data or get new data not
already in the IPCop cache.  The modem can't help in this scenario, so
leave it alone and bypass it by telling IPCop to go directly to opendns
for DNS queries.

Cheers,

Ian