[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Mon Jul 14 01:10:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Ian Blackwell <ian at ikel.id.au> wrote:
<snip>
> If your ADSL modem can act as a DNS server, then you can point IPCop to that
> for DNS, but you can't point IPCop to itself (127.0.0.1) because it is only
> a proxy - not a full DNS server.  In my view, for DNS your IPCop box should
> be directed to:-
> 1) your ISP's DNS servers; or
> 2) public DNS servers; or
> 3) your ADSL modem which is using either of the above.
>
> As I've already mentioned in other replies on this topic, my IPCop server
> uses my ISP for DNS requests.  This means my ADSL modem is bypassed for DNS
> queries, but I'm not even sure if it could respond to DNS queries.

Ian: This is from the web interface of our ZTE ADSL Modem:

 DNS Server Configuration

If Enable Automatic Assigned DNS checkbox is selected, this router
will accept the first received DNS assignment from the PPPoA, PPPoE or
MER/DHCP enabled PVC(s) during the connection establishment. If the
checkbox is not selected, enter the primary and optional secondary DNS
server IP addresses. Click "Apply" to save it.
NOTE:  	If changing from unselected Automatic Assigned DNS to selected Automatic
Assigned DNS, you must reboot the router to get the automatic assigned DNS
addresses.

	Enable Automatic Assigned DNS

Primary DNS server:

Last night, I put the IP addresses for the 2 DNS Servers at opendns.com there.

Question: The next time I connect our Backup IPCop box, should I put
the 2 IP addresses for opendns.com there, or, the IP of our ADSL
Modem? Which will be faster? If I understand, you have the IP
addresses in your IPCop box and that bypasses your ADSL Modem.
TIA, Lanny