[CentOS] background process

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jul 15 13:18:56 UTC 2008

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> David Hlác(ik wrote:
>> Sorry for such lame question but ..
>>
>> When i am connected to server using SSH . How can i fetch process to
>> background and close ssh session and not kill that process? And how can i
>> later connect to server and fetch process from background to console?
>>
>> All years i have been using "screen" for this.
>
> Why not continue with screen on CentOS?
>
> yum install screen

Screen is certainly the best method to do this that I have found ... is
there a reason why you DON'T want to use screen.

you can use the '&' to put things in the background and use the command
'fg' to bring it to the foreground ... but screen also redirects stdout
and stderr for you, so I would still use it unless there is a specific
problem you are trying to address.