[CentOS] background process

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 13:38:16 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> Sorry for such lame question but ..
>>> When i am connected to server using SSH . How can i fetch process to
>>> background and close ssh session and not kill that process? And how
>>> can i
>>> later connect to server and fetch process from background to console?
>>> All years i have been using "screen" for this.
>> Why not continue with screen on CentOS?
>> yum install screen
> Screen is certainly the best method to do this that I have found ... is
> there a reason why you DON'T want to use screen.
> you can use the '&' to put things in the background and use the command
> 'fg' to bring it to the foreground ... but screen also redirects stdout
> and stderr for you, so I would still use it unless there is a specific
> problem you are trying to address.

Or if you want a more modern approach - use freenx on the server and the
NX client from www.nomachine.com.  This will give you a complete GUI
desktop that you can suspend when you disconnect and you can simply
leave each process running it its own window so it is easy to find.

And - you can run the whole session over an ssh connection mananged by
the client and it is very efficient even when run remotely.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com