[CentOS] Replacing custom kernel with another - with same identifier

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Thu Jul 17 19:12:18 UTC 2008

to, 2008-07-17 kello 10:11 -0700, Akemi Yagi kirjoitti:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4 at welho.com> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I just finished building a custom kernel from 2.6.18-53.1.21 source rpm
> > - this time with ISA bus and ISAPNP support which I accidentally left
> > out of my previous attempt.
> > Unfortunately, this time I forgot to change my identifier in
> > kernel-2.6.spec file. Thus I now have one *installed* kernel version
> > *without* ISA support, and another one *with* ISA support but as rpm,
> > not yet installed. Both kernels now have identical identifiers.
> >
> > What is the safe way to remove the previous installed kernel version
> > without taking out the uninstalled new version? Is the latter safe in
> > ~/rpmbuild/RPMS if I use 'rpm -e' to remove the former version?
>
> Hi Antti,
>
> I don't know if you have some reason and must stay at that old kernel,
> but I advise you get the current 2.6.18-92.1.6 kernel and rebuild.
> Then you'd have a chance to get your buildid in.
>
> Akemi

Thanks, Akemi, but I first tried just that. In a post to Alan (you
should have a copy of it) I told my box crashed with 2.6.18-92.1.6
(kernel panic: Not syncing). 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53 worked but I
didn't find the source rpm until Alan told me where to find it.
I have now dl'd the source rpm and will try compiling it soon.
I just wanted to have one kernel with ISA support and now I have it.
Building the newest kernel with ISA support should be relatively simple
based on my recent experiences.

Antti