[CentOS] perl module to parse httpd log on C5

Mark Pryor

tlviewer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 18:14:26 UTC 2008

hello,

Looking for alternative ideas to parse the combined Apache log:
   /var/log/httpd/access_log   (is how I named it)

What I've tried so far is a CPAN search, which pointed me to a recently
created module called ApacheLog::Parser

>From the C5 shell, I used something like this (heavily refined from how I started)

      ---------- sh script ---------
#rpm --import http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
yum install ncftp --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel
yum -y install perl-Test-Pod \
 perl-YAML \
 perl-Test-Pod-Coverage \
 perl-Class-Accessor \
 perl-IPC-Run \
 perl-Time-modules \
 perl-DateTime \
 perl-Date-Simple
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Class::Accessor::Classy'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Time::Piece'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Date::Piece'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install File::Fu'
#  yum install perl-IPC-Run3
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Getopt::Helpful'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install ApacheLog::Parser'
------------------ end snip -----------

the above worked on a fresh install of C5.2 with a LAMP setup.
CPAN asked for ncftp in its setup.

I must have tried 50-60 commands before I settled on the abbreviated version above.

As an exercise, I took a shot at using cpan2rpm to package the
tar.gz's into RPM's

the resulting RPM's are here:
      http://www.tlviewer.org/fostats
they are signed with my RPM-GPG key