[CentOS] Re: 6TB SCSI RAID vs. Centos

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jul 25 21:17:50 UTC 2008

on 7-25-2008 6:26 AM Marcelo Roccasalva spake the following:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17-4+jYJfmkT58 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 at 6:42pm, Milt Mallory wrote
>>> I have an Infortrend RAID box I'd like to see as one big 6TB partition,
>>> but I only can get 2.2TB partitions to work. I was trying to do this
>>> with an Adaptec controller but apparently they are only (any of them) 48
>>> bits wide. Does anybody have a working system for SCSI/Centos over
>>> 2.2TB?
>> Are you using gpt disk labels and parted (rather than fdisk) to do your
>> partitioning?
> You can't install centos (or redhat) over a gpt partition (unless
> itanium platform) and there is a big chance your bios won't boot such
> installation. I came with 2 solutions: if disk access performance
> isn't important (as for backup), I do software raid; or I install two
> little raid1 disks for the OS and then I use GPT or LVM on the
> multi-tera raid of big disks.
Or partition the array with a small partition for OS and big partition (gpt)
for data. You should be able to carve up the array that way.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!