[CentOS] Now you did it Olly

D Steward dsteward at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 28 02:14:18 UTC 2008

> Well I missed something and I overwrote the encrypted bootloader on the
> hard drive.

If the purpose of the encrypted bootloader was to load an encrypted
filesystem/s, then there must be a spare MBR on your drive somewhere.
Its not standard to have more than one MBR, but my spidey sense is
tingling and telling me any half-decent software encryption software
wouldnt rely on a single fragile point of failure such as an mbr which
is easily overwritten by viruses and installations.

Providing you are still on the net, send an email to one of your tech
guys asking for either the location of the spare MBR, or if there isnt
one, a new MBR to replace yours - they should have a copy of your
original.
Alternatively, if you know the name of the software package doing all
this, you may be able to find (if you have a spare MBR) out on the net.
FWIW, I wouldnt bother any PHB's with this - they will definitely not be
amused.