[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 28 21:20:21 UTC 2008

on 7-28-2008 12:10 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Alex <ethericalzen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:30 -0700
>> MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:
>>> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one
>>> of my DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message
>>> mentioned I should have my serial number handy.  I thought there
>>> was a way to read that from at least one piece of software on the
>>> system, but I couldn't remember one and man -k on a number of
>>> subjects was unrevealing.
>>> Can someone enlighten me (us)?
>>> Thanks.
>>> mhr
>> You can try hdparm -i /dev/yourdevice
>> You may need to run this as root. There is a field for Serial
>> Number, but for my devices no serial number is provided. This may
>> not help you, but it could work.
>> Output from my system:
>> [prata at crane ~]$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdc
>> /dev/hdc:
>> Model=Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 011, FwRev=E1.14,
>> SerialNo= Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs
>> nonMagnetic }.....other info is there but is not relevant.
> Mark: Try that! On my Desktop, it gives me the SN for the HD (hda),
> but the space for
> SN is blank, for hdc (DVD reader) and hdd (CD-RW). . If you are lucky,
> on your box, it will give you the SN for the DVD
> burner. Lanny
I don't think most optical drive manufacturers embed serial numbers in their
drives. Hard drives are different, as their testing process lets them change
something like a serial number, but an optical drive would require a custom
firmware to be created and then loaded to the drive. That would slow the process.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!