[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Tue Jul 29 01:26:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
<snip>
>>> MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

<snip>
>> Mark: Try that! On my Desktop, it gives me the SN for the HD (hda),
>> but the space for
>> SN is blank, for hdc (DVD reader) and hdd (CD-RW). . If you are lucky,
>> on your box, it will give you the SN for the DVD
>> burner. Lanny
>
> I don't think most optical drive manufacturers embed serial numbers in their
> drives. Hard drives are different, as their testing process lets them change
> something like a serial number, but an optical drive would require a custom
> firmware to be created and then loaded to the drive. That would slow the
> process.

That probably explains why when I tried it, there were no serial numbers for my
opticlal drives. I always see an SN for a HD, when running diagnostics on them.
Sounds like Mark is going to need to pull the bad DVD burner anyway, so when he
does, he can read the SN on the label and get an RMA for it.