[CentOS] smartd on RAID controllers?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Jul 29 14:31:22 UTC 2008

Mogens Kjaer wrote on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:14:16 +0200:

> BigBrother is watching the machines, using /sbin/hplog from hpasm
> to query the state of the fans, powersupplies and temperatures.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, that hangs like hpasmcli is hanging. I
may be missing something (kernel module, drivers?), but I don't know
which. I didn't install any HP drivers as I prefer to use the CentOS
drivers if they work. This way I can avoid any trouble when upgrading the
kernel. Maybe I'm missing something this way? So far I only installed that
extra hpasm package and the hp-OpenIPMI.
I can query sensors on the Dells with ipmitool, but this doesn't work on
the HP, it can't find an ipmi device.
A configure run of hpasm shows me "This server does not contain an hp
Advanced Server Management Device.". That's probably the reason for the
hang. However, there's a Lights Out BMC built-in and I can login to it. I
didn't acquire licenses for virtual KVM and virtual media, but I think
this shouldn't matter in this case.
Hah, got it. "service ipmi start" loads all ipmi modules (there was at
least one missing before) and I get a read-out with ipmitool. hpasmcli and
hplog still don't work. I think I will just forget about hpasm.

> The state of the smart array RAID is monitored with array-info:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/array-info

won't compile without docbook. But I think it won't work with the
controller, anyway. I can get a reading with "mpt-status -i 1" for the
RAID status (on both HP and Dell machines), but this doesn't include SMART
(SMART as in Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology, I think
the "smart" in Smart Array refers to something different?).

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany