[CentOS] Re: [Ntop-misc] PF_RING crashed the CentOS5 - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7

Ian jonhson jonhson.ian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:48:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Luca Deri <deri at ntop.org> wrote:
> Ian
> from the trace below I don't see an error related to PF_RING but a
> soft-lockup (see below).
>
> I have tested PF_RING on 2.6.24 and .26 and have not experienced the problem
> you reported.

hmm...  I have restarted the operating system with CentOS's original kernel and
done again my experiments. I found that bug has not occurred again.

I don't know why. Maybe, the traditional libpcap has no provided
enough capability
like PF_RING. Or, perhapse something wrong is indeed in patched kernel or Dell
hardware drivers.

BTW, could you tell me what OS distribution you used in your testing PF_RING,
RedHat AS4 or Others? And what kernel source codes are downloaded, from
vendor's websites or www.kernel.org?

I very thank you if you can recommend what OS distribution and what
kernel version
are put together can achieve the maximal stability.

Thank anybody!

Ian