[CentOS] Re: [Ntop-misc] PF_RING crashed the CentOS5 - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jul 29 17:29:20 UTC 2008

on 7-29-2008 9:48 AM Ian jonhson spake the following:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Luca Deri <deri-Q5Vr9lIqpUA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Ian
>> from the trace below I don't see an error related to PF_RING but a
>> soft-lockup (see below).
>> I have tested PF_RING on 2.6.24 and .26 and have not experienced the problem
>> you reported.
> hmm...  I have restarted the operating system with CentOS's original kernel and
> done again my experiments. I found that bug has not occurred again.
> I don't know why. Maybe, the traditional libpcap has no provided
> enough capability
> like PF_RING. Or, perhapse something wrong is indeed in patched kernel or Dell
> hardware drivers.
> BTW, could you tell me what OS distribution you used in your testing PF_RING,
> RedHat AS4 or Others? And what kernel source codes are downloaded, from
> vendor's websites or www.kernel.org?
> I very thank you if you can recommend what OS distribution and what
> kernel version
> are put together can achieve the maximal stability.
> Thank anybody!
> Ian
If you need a newer kernel to use that patch, I would recommend something that
runs more cutting edge for that server, maybe Gentoo or Fedora 9. I don't
recommend patching CentOS with a new kernel as you lose the main benefit for
using an Enterprise distro .. stability.
I love CentOS, but no one distribution can be everything for everyone. That is
why there are so many choices.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!