[CentOS] Re: [Ntop-misc] PF_RING crashed the CentOS5 - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7

Ian jonhson jonhson.ian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 06:10:06 UTC 2008

> If you need a newer kernel to use that patch, I would recommend something
> that runs more cutting edge for that server, maybe Gentoo or Fedora 9. I
> don't recommend patching CentOS with a new kernel as you lose the main
> benefit for using an Enterprise distro .. stability.

You meant I should not patch the newest kernel but original kernel, right?
For example, I should download the source codes of kernel -2.6.18 used
in CentOS 5 from www.centos.org and do patching. right?

I am thinking the same method to achieve the highest stability. If you
also recommend the way, I am willing to try again.

Thanks!

Ian