[CentOS] You didn't give me some packages, so now I'm giving you some! R, TexLive, LyX, Gnumeric, etc.

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Jul 29 20:25:26 UTC 2008

814bd09640a at mail.gmail.com>

Paul Johnson wrote on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:29:13 -0500:

> People keep sending me to RPMforge, but apparently you don't go there
> yourselves to see you are sending me nowhere.

Nobody could be aware that you do not know about rpmforge and know your
way yourself.

-> https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/Using

We all use it, we (most of us) do not package for it. rpmforge is one of
the biggest repos for RHEL, if not the biggest. You will find that a few
of the stuff you looked for are already there, you will fond some more in
other repos like atRPMS, EPEL, CentOS-Testing, Karanbir Singh's repo. Not
necessarily everything you want. Partly because what you want/offer is
already part of CentOS, just an older version. You should understand that
most people *want* to use what comes with CentOS and only add packages
from other repos if these are not part of CentOS. As it seems you want to
offer newer versions of quite a few packages that are already part of
CentOS. I'm sure that some people can take advantage of that. However, you
should be aware that most of "us" won't even see these packages as we use
the yum priorities plugin to explicitely stop other repos from overriding
CentOS base packages.
You do not need to join rpmforge for offering your packages. Just create a
repo with your packages and announce it. Sooner or later people that want
these packages will find you. There are quite a few specialized repos out
there that "deal" only in certain types of software or just in one
package.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany