[CentOS] xfs on 5.2 (live cd + dvd)

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Tue Jul 29 21:07:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:
>>> Well, try "yum install" with the "xfs" string and various wildcards
>>> and  you'll figure it out quickly.

>>> Performance is not "one", it's "many". There are so many different
>>> scenarios and in most cases it's impossible to tell whether any given
>>> FS  will perform better than another.
>>>
>>> XFS will likely perform better than other FS when you're dealing with
>>>  large files, such as HD authoring and stuff like that. Even then, if
>>> you  want to be sure, it's probably best to do some benchmarks.
>>
>> While I have used xfs for years on SuSE systems, and have it on
>> several CentOS 5.1 systems, I will probably not use it on new
>> installations as ``yum update'' on the CentOS 5.1 systems now
>> fails saying it cannot update kmod-xfs.
>>
>> I prefer to keep things close to the LCD to avoid issues with
>> extensions that may not be updated in a timely manner.
>
> You should be able to update the xfs modules ... they are in the repo
> (at least for 5.2 ... 5.1 is not going to get any updates any more and
> is moving to vault soon);

Let's see now, CentOS is supposed to be an Enterprise distribution (or at
least a clone of one), but updates for something that's been out for about
6 months (5.1) won't be available?  Is this because the ``upstream'' isn't
providing updates?

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a
chance to have their fair say.  -- Bill Clinton, May 29, 1993, The White House