[CentOS] xfs on 5.2 (live cd + dvd)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jul 29 21:15:35 UTC 2008

Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Bill Campbell wrote:

>>> While I have used xfs for years on SuSE systems, and have it on
>>> several CentOS 5.1 systems, I will probably not use it on new
>>> installations as ``yum update'' on the CentOS 5.1 systems now
>>> fails saying it cannot update kmod-xfs.
>>>
>>> I prefer to keep things close to the LCD to avoid issues with
>>> extensions that may not be updated in a timely manner.
>> You should be able to update the xfs modules ... they are in the repo
>> (at least for 5.2 ... 5.1 is not going to get any updates any more and
>> is moving to vault soon);
>
> Let's see now, CentOS is supposed to be an Enterprise distribution (or at
> least a clone of one), but updates for something that's been out for about
> 6 months (5.1) won't be available?  Is this because the ``upstream'' isn't
> providing updates?

No, it is because 5.1 is not the distro .. centos-5 is.

5.0, 5.1, 5.2 are update sets for centos-5.

(much like service pack 2 or service pack 3 for WinXP to use a windows
analogy)

You have CentOS-5, and it is updated to a certain level.  If you run
yum, it will be updated to latest version .. just like if you do an
update with RHEL, you will get all the latest packages.

So ... CentOS-5 was at one time 5.0, then 5.1 and now 5.2.

This is covered a massive amount of times every update set.