[CentOS] Widescreen monitor won't configure to a wide screen

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 15:37:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 07:58 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com> wrote:
> >
> > Try letting the nvidia installer generate the xorg.conf file (and then
> > possibly tweak it by hand later).  Or try the following xorg.conf file which
> > works for me an autodetects any type of display I've attached to my CentOS
> > systems, including wide screens:
> >
> > # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
> > # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Mon May 19
> > 00:33:37 PDT 2008
> >
> <snip>
> >

> No change, although I did notice that when I log out (or
> screen takes over and the display goes back to 1680x1050 (the login
> screen), so that wasn't it.
>
> Something is resetting the video mode to 1280x1024 when GNOME comes up
> - is there any file other than xorg.conf that might cause this?

Keep in mind that I'm ignorant.

You had mentioned earlier that it not only changed resolution, but
revereted to analog monitor. I don't know if this will help, but have
you run kudzu? Check /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. /VIDEO/

You should see your new monitor in there. I don't know enough to know if
this has an effect though. I presume that when X terminates, the driver
is unloaded. When it starts up again, the driver would be reloaded. I
don't know if DDC gets involved here or not.

Check your X logs (/var/log/X.[0-9].log for messages.

> Thanks to all so far.
>
> mhr
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH