[CentOS] Widescreen monitor won't configure to a wide screen

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:02:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:37 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that I'm ignorant.

We all know that, Bill - that's why I'm here, too.  (No, not your
ignorance, mine!  :-)

> You had mentioned earlier that it not only changed resolution, but
> revereted to analog monitor. I don't know if this will help, but have
> you run kudzu? Check /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. /VIDEO/

It's only connected via the analog cable.  First, outside of GNOME, it
works in full wide screen mode, so I don't think that's it, and
second, I don't know if there is enough advantage to invest in a DVI
cable.

I'll look, though, tonight, when I get a chance.

> You should see your new monitor in there. I don't know enough to know if
> this has an effect though. I presume that when X terminates, the driver
> is unloaded. When it starts up again, the driver would be reloaded. I
> don't know if DDC gets involved here or not.

Based on the comments that get inserted in my xorg.conf file by the
nvidia xconfig, I'm guessing no since I have specified the frequency
ranges (from the manual), and when I didn't, it still didn't work.

> Check your X logs (/var/log/X.[0-9].log for messages.

Good point....

Thanks.

mhr