[CentOS] enterprise backup solution (probably amanda?)

Paul Bijnens paul.bijnens at xplanation.com
Wed Jul 30 16:45:06 UTC 2008

David Hláčik wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> hope i am not making an offtopic
>
> Currently we are looking for storage/backup solution in our company.
>
> Basically we need to backup data incrementaly from windows server and
> centos server + subversion repositories.
>
> So far i believe amanda would be best for this situation and also has
> good reference.
>
> Is there anything else - i would be glad to have space for research and
> choose backuping solution which fits for my needs best.

I'm an Amanda user since 9+ years now.
Done several restores, even bare metal ones.
Amanda never failed on me.

Note that the most important functionality of a backup program
is actually the restore process.
One of the biggest advantages when using Amanda is the possibility
to restore using only the bare bones system utilities like dd, tar,
dump etc., very handy when you have only a backup tape and a brand
new machine to restore to.

When doing backups from MS Windows, be aware that Amanda can only
backup/restore data files. Amanda is not good for programs (and
especially their registry settings and all undocumented stuff done
during installs of them). I do the backups of our MS-Windows clients
with BackupPC (see the mail from Les Mikesell): very good (but backups
are only to disk).
We do not have many MS Windows servers, and most of those are
actually vmware instances, which are included in the amanda backups
of their hosts anyway.

And last but not least, there is a mailinglist with active and friendly
people as well, helping you out for most problems (usually much better
and faster than payed support IMHO, where you have to argue for an day
or two through the firstline helpdesk, before you get someone who
understands your question).

--
Paul