[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

Thu Jul 3 14:18:20 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 07:57 -0500, Alex White wrote:
> <snip>

> Not entirely sure what one would glean from /proc other than that
> the card is present and drivers are loaded for it. There's lengthy
> output for my sound device. I won't paste all of it, but everything
> is located in /proc/asound. My device is also listed under
> /proc/devices as one would expect.

/proc delivers the *truth*. And for some things, settings can be changed
there that are not easily addressed through utilities.

> I don't muck in /proc very often other than for testing network
> setups and obtaining cpu and memory information, so the output for
> my soundcard means next to nothing to me other than I know the
> correct driver is loaded.
>
> [prata at crane asound]$ ls
> card0  cards  devices  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  V8237  version
>
> [prata at crane asound]$ pwd && cat modules && cat cards
> /proc/asound
>   0 snd_via82xx
>   0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
>                        VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0xe800, irq 209

*chuckle* I forgot I was looking at files that always report 0 length
- /proc. So, just in case something is useful, I ran the following and
included its output. Then I snipped out things like hex values that I
figured would be *really* machine specific or indecipherable by the
likes of me (us?).

I inserted some commentry if one of the settings looked like it might
yield a clue, like "closed" when we might expect open. I'm not using my
sound ATM, so mine s/b closed.

After this, I'll pop in Mark Knoppfler's "Shangri-La" and diff the two
files.

# cd /proc/asound
# find . -type f -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; >/tmp/asound
./card0/oss_mixer
#### Control panel settings? ####
VOLUME "Master" 0
BASS "" 0
TREBLE "" 0
SYNTH "" 0
PCM "PCM" 0
SPEAKER "PC Speaker" 0
LINE "Line" 0
MIC "Mic" 0
CD "CD" 0
IMIX "" 0
ALTPCM "" 0
RECLEV "" 0
IGAIN "Capture" 0
OGAIN "" 0
LINE1 "Aux" 0
LINE2 "" 0
LINE3 "" 0
DIGITAL1 "IEC958" 0
DIGITAL2 "" 0
DIGITAL3 "" 0
PHONEIN "Phone" 0
PHONEOUT "Master Mono" 0
VIDEO "Video" 0
RADIO "" 0
MONITOR "" 0
./card0/id
V8237
./card0/via82xx
VIA 8237 with ALC655 at 0xeb00, irq 201
<snip "greek to me">
./card0/pcm1c/oss
./card0/pcm1c/sub0/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm1c/sub0/prealloc
64
#### On some of the following, should see open if sound is in use? ####
./card0/pcm1c/sub0/status
closed
./card0/pcm1c/sub0/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm1c/sub0/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm1c/sub0/info
card: 0
device: 1
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
#### Devices available should = count? ####
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1
./card0/pcm1c/info
card: 0
device: 1
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1
./card0/pcm1p/oss
./card0/pcm1p/sub0/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm1p/sub0/prealloc
64
./card0/pcm1p/sub0/status
closed
./card0/pcm1p/sub0/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm1p/sub0/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm1p/sub0/info
card: 0
device: 1
subdevice: 0
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1
./card0/pcm1p/info
card: 0
device: 1
subdevice: 0
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1
./card0/pcm0c/oss
./card0/pcm0c/sub0/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm0c/sub0/prealloc
64
./card0/pcm0c/sub0/status
closed
./card0/pcm0c/sub0/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0c/sub0/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0c/sub0/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1
./card0/pcm0c/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1
./card0/pcm0p/oss
./card0/pcm0p/sub3/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm0p/sub3/prealloc
64
./card0/pcm0p/sub3/status
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub3/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub3/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub3/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 3
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #3
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 4
subdevices_avail: 4
./card0/pcm0p/sub2/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm0p/sub2/prealloc
64
./card0/pcm0p/sub2/status
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub2/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub2/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub2/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 2
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #2
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 4
subdevices_avail: 4
./card0/pcm0p/sub1/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm0p/sub1/prealloc
64
./card0/pcm0p/sub1/status
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub1/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub1/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub1/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 1
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #1
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 4
subdevices_avail: 4
./card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc_max
128
./card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
64
./card0/pcm0p/sub0/status
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub0/sw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
closed
./card0/pcm0p/sub0/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 4
subdevices_avail: 4
./card0/pcm0p/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: PLAYBACK
id: VIA 8237
name: VIA 8237
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 4
subdevices_avail: 4
./card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs
<snip "it's greek to me">
./card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0
0-0/0: Realtek ALC655 rev 0

PCI Subsys Vendor: 0x1695
PCI Subsys Device: 0x300c

Revision         : 0x00
Compat. Class    : 0x00
Subsys. Vendor ID: 0xffff
Subsys. ID       : 0xffff

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 16-bit
ADC resolution   : 16-bit
3D enhancement   : No 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=2 LDAC SDAC CDAC DSA=0 SPDIF
Extended status  : SPCV LDAC SDAC CDAC SPDIF=10/11
SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Category=0x2 Generation=1 Rate=48kHz
./pcm
00-01: VIA 8237 : VIA 8237 : playback 1 : capture 1
00-00: VIA 8237 : VIA 8237 : playback 4 : capture 1
./timers
<snip "it's greek to me">
./modules
 0 snd_via82xx
./cards
 0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                      VIA 8237 with ALC655 at 0xeb00, irq 201
./devices
  2:        : timer
  3:        : sequencer
  4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
  6: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  7: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  8: [ 0]   : control
./version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14rc3 (Wed Mar 14
07:25:50 2007 UTC).
./seq/oss
OSS sequencer emulation version 0.1.8
ALSA client number 15
ALSA receiver port 0

Number of applications: 0

Number of synth devices: 0

Number of MIDI devices: 1

midi 0: [Midi Through Port-0] ALSA port 14:0
  capability read/write / opened none
./seq/timer
./seq/clients
Client info
  cur  clients : 3
  peak clients : 3
  max  clients : 192

Client   0 : "System" [Kernel]
  Port   0 : "Timer" (Rwe-)
  Port   1 : "Announce" (R-e-)
    Connecting To: 15:0
Client  14 : "Midi Through" [Kernel]
  Port   0 : "Midi Through Port-0" (RWe-)
Client  15 : "OSS sequencer" [Kernel]
  Port   0 : "Receiver" (-we-)
    Connected From: 0:1
./seq/queues
./seq/drivers
snd-seq-oss,loaded,0
./oss/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.14rc3 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux centos501.homegroannetworking 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat
Jun 21 19:04:27 EDT 2008 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
VIA 8237 with ALC655 at 0xeb00, irq 201

Audio devices:
0: VIA 8237 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers:
0: Realtek ALC655 rev 0
./oss/devices
  0: [0- 0]: mixer
  1:       : sequencer
  3: [0- 0]: digital audio
  4: [0- 0]: digital audio
  8:       : sequencer
 12: [0- 1]: digital audio

> Given that your machine is reporting the device as present (despite
> not getting any sound) I am under the impression anything you get
> out of proc would be correct as well. Just to through more confusion
> on the issue. ^_^

As you can see above, we would expect to see some things change if
things are working. I'll follow up with a diff when the CD is playing.

> > Last idea, if no one else from here chimes in. Do a google (again) and
> > try the alsa or other Linux lists.
>
> I don't know why I never googled around on the Alsa lists. That was
> stupid of me. Opensuse has some forums with this problem as well. I
> didn't see a fix, but I didn't spend too much time looking there. If
> there is a fix, maybe they have an srpm that could be massaged into
> working in CentOS?

I'm still looking for a fix on mine to get all 4 speakers working. I
found the duplicate front fix, but no joy with that.

--
Bill