[CentOS] Message size rejected

Fri Jul 4 06:43:56 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Thursday 03 July 2008 22:29:55 Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > My daughter needs to send me a large file.  It appears that it is getting
> > through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server.  The message
> > she's getting says
>
> Much as I dislike getting or giving "you asked for x, but here's how
> to do it with y" I'm going to do so here.
>
> Email is one of those things which is great for small files, and such,
> but large transfers can cause issues at pretty much every aspect of
> the trip. If you've already got a webserver running, add a password
> protected area for uploads. You can even set it up to allow webdav
> style transfers over https. This avoids any mail handling delays, lets
> both parties know it got there successfully, and keeps the clutter out
> of the mailserver.

I wouldn't dream of sending big files like that by email, but this is a
windows user who 'wants to get things done, not play with computers'.  Her
experience is that she can send a big pdf to her printers, so she wouldn't
think that he sets his mailbox to accept unusually large files.  As far as
she's concerned, I'm at fault.  She even read the 'Message size exceeds fixed
limit' as meaning that my inbox was full.  It's no good trying to tell her
about better ways.  She wouldn't see that as part of her work.

</rant>  Thanks to list members I'll get the file thiis morning.

Anne