[CentOS] Best Java code for Centos 5.2s Firefox 3

Mon Jul 7 15:04:56 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 09:29 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> <snip>

> Anyway, so here comes the upgrade to firefox 3.  On my test system, Java
> was working with 1.5, and now it is not.  So I anticipate the same event
> here.  I need these Java apps working, so before I upgrade, I would like
> to know what others have found out and recommend.

Early on I installed firefox-3.0rc2.tar.bz2 (after having discarded the
3b5 beta now included in the RH/CentOS 5.2 my home directory and started
successfully running with it. I have not yet replaced the 3b5
system-wide (not broken, don't fix).

I run a java application. The java console show warnings and 8 errors,
but it WFM.

# rpm -qa|grep jre
jre-1.6.0_05-fcs

# rpm -qa|grep java
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115
tzdata-java-2007k-2.el5.centos

I had tried the openjdk CentOS posted a couple months back, reported it
did not WFM, never heard anything about it, so I abandoned testing it.
Got the real jre from Sun's site.

With this combination, my apps are working good enough, although I would
prefer no warnings or errors in the java console.

I would suggest getting the released FF from the mozilla site, install
alongside the CentOS released one (allowing an upgrade to prod FF when
RH releases it) and test that setup.

I would like to use all the CentOS released, but the beta FF has too
many warts, the test of the openjdk I did not only failed but also got
no activity when I reported it did not work for me and I had no
time/interest in pushing hard since I'm really ignorant on all that
stuff.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--