[CentOS] Best Java code for Centos 5.2s Firefox 3

Mon Jul 7 13:35:19 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> OK.  I just upgraded a test system from 5.1 to 5.2 and there went all of my
> efforts to get Java working.  All those alternative commands that I lost
> track of what really worked....
>
> So I need the JDK.  I have that installed on my main system with some
> alternatives commands that I do not remember.  I do remember (and can find)
> a thread here to help me on it, and I tried a number of different
> recommendations until things started working.  Was it the last command or a
> combination of them?
>
> Anyway, so here comes the upgrade to firefox 3.  On my test system, Java was
> working with 1.5, and now it is not.  So I anticipate the same event here.
>  I need these Java apps working, so before I upgrade, I would like to know
> what others have found out and recommend.

The openjdk rpms from epel are somewhat functional, but for me it's
just easier to get the jdk rpm from java.sun.com, and then grab the
java-sun-compat rpm from jpackage.org. It sets up the alternatives
framework and plugins for mozilla/ff. After that it all 'Just Works'
here.

George Orwell