[CentOS] Re: pm-utils - ATrpms updates a system package on the stable branch

Tue Jul 8 19:06:27 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Axel Thimm wrote:

> Just to present an example from Fedora: clamav within Fedora was and
> is considered rather cumbersome packaged and many users turn to 3rd
> party repos to get clamav installed.

Actually, I stirred up a lot of muck not too long ago on a mailing list,
exactly on this topic. The way they package clamav is less than useful
for newbies and for those who just want to quickly enable a simple AV
filter.
It does help those who need a complex, sophisticated, multi-component
setup. But those are exactly the people who don't need a lot of help, so
why target the package towards them?

To become package maintainers - those lacking common sense need not apply.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/